The Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet
You likely already know that spaying and neutering pets is important for controlling canine and feline populations. But did you know that there are numerous other benefits that come with these procedures? Here are a few things to know about how a laser spay or neuter services can be an advantage for you and your pet while also helping to control animal populations in Markham and the GTA.
What is Neutering?
Neutering renders male cats and dogs infertile. The process involves removing both testicles from your pet and is generally performed at six months of age. Recovery tends to be quick and complications from the procedure are exceedingly rare.
Benefits of Neutering
While some people simply prefer the aesthetic of a neutered pet, there are a number of other advantages. Benefits of neutering include:
- Entirely eliminates possibility of testicular cancer.
- Greatly reduced risk of prostate problems.
- Aggression problems are less likely.
- Fewer instances of running away from home.
- Marking behaviour—male animals spray strong urine in order to mark their territory—is eliminated.
- Humping behaviours may be diminished or entirely eliminated.
What is Spaying?
Spaying involves the removal of the ovaries and uterus in female cats and dogs. The procedure is more complicated than neutering but recovery remains fairly rapid and complications highly unlikely. The age most veterinarians perform the surgery is generally around six months.
Benefits of Spaying
Like neutering, spaying your pet has a number of advantages. Benefits include:
- Eliminates the possibility of developing uterine cancer.
- Reduces the likelihood of contracting breast cancer.
- Eradicates heat cycles and their corresponding physical outcomes and behaviours including bleeding, changes in appetite, yowling (with cats) and personality changes.
The Advantage of Using Laser Technology for Spaying & Neutering
- Fewer incidents of infections occurring as a result of the surgery. Laser beams have a sterilizing effect that eliminates bacteria and other microorganisms.
- Less pain for the animal as laser beams seal nerve endings while cutting through tissue.
- Blood loss is drastically minimized as laser beams cauterize when they cut through tissue.
- Quicker recovery time as a result of all the above factors.
Experienced and Caring Veterinarians
The veterinarians in Markham at Cachet Village Animal Hospital can be trusted with the safe laser spay or neuter of your pet. Contact us at our clinic to schedule your kitten or puppy’s sterilization.